The Rinnai Sensei Commercial CU199 is a super high efficiency, Commercial Energy Star Certified, tankless hot water heater. The commercial line offers 97% Thermal Efficiency with a heat exchanger built for commercial demands. The CU199 is designed specifically for commercial use with precision engineering to give you an endless supply of hot water. Restaurants and hotels, as well as multi-family dwellings and schools are perfect applications for a commercial tankless water heater.
Cascade Logic and Cable Assembly is available for the CU199 tanks. With Cascade Cables used to connect up to 24 water heaters together, Cascade Logic rotates water heater operation to ensure the entire system gets equal usage and functions as a single hot water source. In a commercial installation where you may need to use more than one unit, Rinnai offers many Tankless Rack Systems for installation flexibility as well. The Tankless Rack system is available for wall mounted or freestanding installation for two or more units.
The commercial line of tankless water heaters is also available in either Natural Gas or Liquid Propane. The CU199 must be purchased for indoor or outdoor use*. Indoor versus outdoor installation is not interchangeable and must be decided at time of purchase. Indoor installation of the CU199 offers both concentric and PVC/CPVC venting. The dual venting option on the top of the unit allows for maximum installation flexibility - one concentric vent or two PVC/CPVC/PP pipes can be used for venting. With concentric venting, one pipe allows for fresh outside air in, while the other allows for exhaust to go out. Outdoor installation does not require venting. This item, the CU199i, is for indoor installation and requires venting.
The Rinnai Sensei Series with condensing technology offers built-in freeze protection down to -22°F on the indoor units. The unit features an integrated check valve located between the turbo fan and the combustion chamber to prevent cold air from entering the venting system and backflow of exhaust in common vent applications. The Fiber Mesh Premix Burner helps to provide even flame distribution for optimal performance for any demand.
It features 199,000 BTUs and hot water delivery with a flow rate that ranges from 0.26 - 9.8 GPM. The minimum GPMs is perfect for low demand uses such as shaving, where warm water is needed but not at a high rate! The MCC-91-2US controller is included with the water heater as part of the front panel. The default minimum temperature setting is 98° with a maximum of 140°F. The unit offers a maximum setting of 185°F with parameter adjustment. A parameter adjustment on the CU199 unit can be made for greater hot water flow - up to 11 GPM - as well.
In a condensing tankless water heater, such as the CU199, once you turn on the tap, cold water goes into tankless heater and the flame is activated. Water is pre-heated as it passes through the primary stainless steel heat exchanger then continues to be heated as it passes through the coils in the secondary heat exchanger, exits the water heater, into your pipes and up to the fixture calling for the hot water. Depending on the amount of hot water called for, the flame adjusts accordingly to heat more or less water.
Benefits of a Tankless Hot Water Heater:
- Endless hot water - Heats water as it goes through the pipes, offering endless hot water for your business
- Hot water on demand - Once you turn the water on, hot water runs through your pipes and out the faucet! Virtually no time or water is wasted waiting for the water to heat up
- Highly Efficient - Gallon for gallon, you will spend less money heating your hot water. With a tankless system the water is heated on demand rather than sitting in a storage tank. A storage tank typically heats the water intermittently throughout the day and night not only when it is needed. This unit is Energy Star Qualified and features an Energy Factor of 0.93 (the closer to 1.0 the better)
- Long lasting - Unlike a storage tank in which the water sits in the tank all the time creating sediment and rust, a tankless water heater will last longer
The CU199 offers WiFi Technology (Control-R WiFi Module sold separately) for remote monitoring, management. (Remote diagnostics and monitoring requires a monitoring dealer.) With WiFi monitoring, only Rinnai Service Providers can monitor the efficiency of your tankless water heater as well as send you automatic maintenance alerts and possibly offer faster service. The Control-R WiFi Module attaches right to your Rinnai tankless water heater. Simply download the mobile app and you can control your hot water from anywhere. The CU199 ships with isolation valves for easier maintenance and service.
With a tankless hot water heater, space is rarely an issue. A Rinnai CU199 tankless heater takes up a little more space than a carry-on suitcase - 26.4"h x 18.5"w x 11.5"d. They are designed to be installed on a wall with the following clearances:
(0" from vent components)
|Bottom / Ground:||12"|
(minimum of 24" required for servicing)
The CU199i offers flexible venting options for installation.
- Concentric or Schedule 40 PVC/CPVC
- Direct vent (Concentric and Twin Pipe)
- Non-Direct Vent (Room Air)
- Common Direct Vent (Direct Vent and Room Air)
- Maximum Equivalent Vent Lengths:
- Twin Pipe Vent Sizes and Lengths: 2"/ 65 Ft. or 3"/ 150 Ft.
- Concentric Vent Sizes and Lengths: 2" x 4"/ 65 Ft. or 3"x 5" / 150 Ft.
*Indoor and Outdoor Installation are specific to the model chosen. CU199iP and CU199iN are for indoor installation and require venting while CU199eP and CU199eN are designed for outdoor installation and venting is not required. Both installation types are available in either Liquid Propane (P) or Natural Gas (N). Certified for installation in Manufactured (Mobile) Homes.
To find a local, Rinnai-trained Advanced Comfort Expert that installs Rinnai products in your area click here.
As an added bonus Rinnai has partnered with Folds of Honor. For every Rinnai tankless water heater or boiler that is sold, a contribution is made to Folds of Honor. This provides over 50 scholarships to trade schools for the spouses and children of America's fallen and disabled service members.
- Bay Area AQMD (Reg 9, Rule 6)
- Sacramento Metropolitan AQMD (Rule 411)
- San Joaquin Valley APCD (Rule 4902)
- Santa Barbara County APCD (Rule 352)
- South Coast AQMD (Rule 1146)
- Ventura County AQMD (Rule 74-11)
- Yolo-Solano AQMD (Rule 2.37)
- Fuel Type:
- Liquid Propane (LP) or Natural Gas (NG)
- Installation Type:
- Product Use:
- Commercial Only
- Energy Factor (EF):
- Gallons Per Minute (GPM):
- 0.26 - 9.8
- Built-In Re-Circulation Pump:
- Includes Heat Pump:
- Energy Star:
- Overall Depth (in.):
- Overall Height (in.):
- Overall Width (in.):
- Net Weight (lbs.):
- Water Connection Size:
- 3/4" NPT
- Heat Exchanger Warranty (Commercial):
- 8 Year
- Parts Warranty:
- 5 Year
- Labor Warranty:
- 1 Year; 2 Years if registered within 90 Days
It is recommended that you use a Rinnai Authorized Installer when installing your hot water heater. Your hot water heater includes a
- Limited 8 Year Warranty on Heat Exchanger
- 5 Year Warranty on Parts
- 1 Year Labor Warranty; 2 Years if registered within 90 Days
Please note Rinnai is adjusting the language in its warranty terms and conditions currently noted in the User Installation manuals. The revised statement will read as follows: "This Limited Warranty applies only to products that are installed in the United States and Canada. Improper installation may void this Limited Warranty. It is recommended that a trained and qualified professional who has attended a Rinnai installation training class complete your installation."
All warranties will be honored as written above.