Let's be realistic - your hot water heater is probably one of the last things on your mind. Most likely it has not been seen or talked about, in way too long. It is definitely an appliance that is usually installed and forgotten. That is, until the day comes when it rears its head and does not work up to its potential! NO HOT WATER - BBRRR. Hot water should not be something we take for granted. Today may be the day you decide to replace your water heater.
The GE40S10BMM is a 40 gallon real capacity hot water heater with flexible capacity up to 64 gallons. Flexible Capacity gives you the option of choosing from three capacity settings to enjoy up to 60% additional hot water when you need it versus comparable water heaters without mixing a valve at 120°F set and 58°F water temperature. Flexible Capacity, when activated, stores your hot water at higher temperatures. Three settings, based on 120°F default outlet temp, include Normal - no increase in hot water capacity, High which increases water capacity up to 40% and X-High which increases hot water capacity up to 60%. The GE40S10BMM is a 40 gallon electric water heater with two 5500 Watt elements that uses 240 Volt electricity. It has 2.75" insulation to help reduce heat loss, resulting in less energy consumption, improved operation efficiencies. It is 22" in diameter and is 59-3/8" high (60-7/8" to top of water inlet/outlet connections). Plus you will still get the power you need to heat with electricity. The unit ships with a 120°F factory default temperature setting, it is adjustable from 90° - 150°.
The GE40S10BMM hot water heater has a First Hour Rating or First Hour Delivery of 65 gallons. Basically, the First Hour Rating means how much hot water the hot water heater can deliver in an hour of use, starting with a fully heated tank. It does not mean that the hot water will last for one hour. As the cold water enters the tank it is heated, the faster you use your hot water, the faster your water will become tepid and then cold. However, depending on your temperature set point and your household's water use you can calculate how much hot water you need during your busiest hour. As you use the water in the tank, it is continuously being replenished and heated.
The Energy Factor (EF) is used to determine the energy efficiency of the hot water heater. Recover efficiency, stand-by loss and cycling loss are all included in the energy factor. Typically, the higher the energy factor, the more efficient the water heater. Cost of fuel however, will have an impact on annual operating costs.
An example of a 65 gallon peak demand might look like this:
- 3 showers (10 x 3 = 30 gallons)
- 1 bath (15 x 1 = 15 gallons)
- 1 shave (2 x 1 = 2 gallons)
- 1 meal prep (4 x 1 = 4 gallons)
- 2 hand dishwashing (4 x 2 = 8 gallons)
- 1 dishwasher run (6 x 1 = 6 gallons)
This household would probably want a hot water heater with a first hour rating of about 63 - 70 gallons.
Features of the GE GE40S10BMM electric water heater include:
- Holds a true 40 gallons of water (Compared to 40 gallon electric steel tank water heaters per DOE rated gallon capacity)
- Built-In WiFi. A WiFi communication card is built into the product allowing it to communicate with your smart phone for remote monitoring, control and notifications. This includes, but is not limited to, turning on the Flex capacity option, setting vacation mode and alerting you when it is time to change the anode.
- Delivers 65 gallons of hot water in the first hour (Measured through DOE First Hour Rating)
- Provide hot water for the whole family up to 5 people
- Anode Sensing - notifies you when your anode needs replacing
- Quick Recovery - Two 5500 W heating elements quickly increase water temperature for hot water when you need it
- Stainless Steel - Heating Elements Ultra-durable stainless-steel heating elements resist rust and corrosion
- Inlet Tube - Replenishes water from the bottom of the tank to maximize hot water delivery
- Rust-proof Brass Drain Valve construction can be counted on to provide long-lasting service
- 10 year Tank and Parts Warranty
Weights and Dimensions
Venting and Connection Requirements
California residents see Prop 65 WARNINGS
Product WarrantyBuilt-To-Last warranty – RealMAX™ Premium water heaters carry a 10-year tank and parts limited warranty
Flexible Capacity Water Heaters
Choose from three capacity settings to enjoy up to 60% additio...
Quick Recovery - Electric Water Heaters with Mixing Valve
Quick water recovery benefits. Quicker recovery and higher wat...
Built-in WiFi Water Heaters
Easily adjust temperatures, set vacation mode schedules, and r...