We often think about hot water heaters as stand alone appliances tucked away in the basement or in a utility closet, next to the boiler or furnace. The Bradford White SW-2-120-L is working to change that perception. This indirect fired hot water heater connects to your boiler rather than operating on its own. It seems like this connection would only make sense in the colder months, when you need to run your boiler for heat. However, heating systems are generally more efficient than hot water heaters, so even using it during the warmer months, you are more likely to save money. When you use your boiler as a heat source for your hot water, you will get the same efficiency as your boiler with less heat loss. So if you have a high efficiency boiler, you will get high efficiency results when heating your water! And, no, you do not need to run your boiler all summer long with an indirect water heater. The boiler will only fire up when you need hot water. And with a Bradford White Indirect Fired Water Heater since there is no internal pilot system so there is less interior wear and tear, you may not ever have to replace your water heater again!
Bradford White has engineered their line of Indirect Fired Water Heaters to provide the lowest pressure drops, the highest hot water output and the highest amount of effective actual heat transfer area in the industry. With an indirect fired system, the heat generated in your boiler
is used to heat the water. A built-in coil inside the water heater connects to your boiler at the top and bottom of the coil. The water from your boiler circulates through the coil inside the tank, while heating the water in your tank. By using this process, your incoming cool water is continually heated, giving you an almost endless supply of hot water. Regardless of the type of boiler you have in your home - hot water, steam, oil or gas - you can heat your hot water with an indirect fired water heater.
There is no burner or internal pilot system in an indirect fired water heater, therefore the life of your hot water tank is prolonged. The SW-2-120-L is a single wall, indirect fired hot water heater. It features a 116 gallon capacity and based on your boiler output BTUs, boiler water temperature and water inlet temperature, your first hour ratings will vary.
As an example, the DOE Water Heater Performance for this hot water heater is as follows:
- Boiler output of 220,000 BTUs, boiler water temperature of 200°F and a 50°F water inlet temperature:
- First hour rating for 140°F water is 357 gallons assuming approximately 4.2 gallons/minute of continuous draw
- First hour rating for 115°F water is 507 gallons assuming approximately 6.7 gallons/minute of continuous draw
The AHRI Water Heater Rating for this hot water heater use the following assumptions:
- Boiler output of 157,000 BTUs, boiler water temperature of 180°F
- First Hour Delivery: 325 gallons
- Continuous Draw Rating at 135°F: 235 gals/hr.
- Standby Heat Loss Rating (°F/HR): 0.4
- Heat Source Flow Rate: 13.7 gals/min.
Standard features include:
- Hydrojet® Total Performance System to reduce the amount of sediment that comes into the tank. Less sediment means faster recover.
- Vitraglas® is applied to the interior of the water heater tank and the 1 1/2" heat exchanger is also coated to protect these elements from the corrosive effects of hot water over time. Test results prove that Vitraglas provides unsurpassed protection against failure when compared to other water heater linings.
- 1" Supply and return connections
- Fully automatic controls
- Three protective aluminum anode rods
- Factory installed dielectric nipples
- T&P valve included
- Brass drain valve
- 2" Non-CFC foam insulation
The SW-2-120-L has Limited Lifetime Tank and Heat Exchanger Warranties and a 6 Year Limited Warranty on Component Parts.
- A - Floor to Heater Top: 62 1/2"
- B - Jacket Dimensions: 28 1/4"
- C - Floor to T&P Connection: 55 3/4"
- D - Floor to Water Connection: 63 1/4"
- E - Floor to Exchanger Outlet: 6 3/8"
- F - Floor to Exchanger Inlet: 28 1/2"
- G - Floor to Aquastat: 11 1/2"
Limited Lifetime Warranty on Tank and Heat Exchanger; 6 Year Limited on Component Parts