Bradford White RG240S6X 40 Gallon, Short Atmospheric Vent Water Heater, Liquid Propane
DescriptionIs your hot water heater is more than 10 years old? It might be time to consider a new one. The lifespan of a conventional storage hot water heater is between 10 and 15 years. After all those years of service, sediment build-up and corrosion inside the tank can take their toll.The Bradford White RG240S6X is a 40 gallon, short, hot water heater. It is a gas hot water heater that uses Liquid Propane and it features a shorter tank height than a typical hot water heater. A shorter height just means it is a little wider in diameter. This tank is 51 1/2" from the floor to the Flue Connection and the jacket diameter is 22" wide. Featuring an input of 35,000 BTUs, this hot water heater has a First Hour Rating or First Hour Delivery of 74 gallons.Basically, the First Hour Rating means how much hot water the hot water heater can deliver in an hour of use, starting with a fully heated tank. It does not mean that the hot water will last for one hour. As the cold water enters the tank it is heated, the faster you use your hot water, the faster your water will become tepid and then cold. However, depending on your temperature set point and your household's water use you can calculate how much hot water you need during your busiest hour. As you use the water in the tank, it is continuously being replenished and heated.The Energy Factor (EF) is used to determine the energy efficiency of the hot water heater. Recover efficiency, stand-by loss and cycling loss are all included in the energy factor. Typically, the higher the energy factor, the more efficient the water heater. Cost of fuel however, will have an impact on annual operating costs.You can calculate your peak hour usage with this simple chart:
of Hot Water
During 1 Hour
in 1 Hour
Shower (10 minutes)
Bath(Standard 60" x 30" x 14")
Hand Dishwashing or
=An example of a 75 gallon peak demand might look like this:
This household would probably want a hot water heater with a first hour rating of between 73 and 77 gallons.Another important feature when choosing a hot water heater is the Recovery Rise. A 90° recovery rise for this tank is about 43 minutes. In other words, when the cold water enters the hot water tank, it will take just about three quarters of an hour to rise 90° inside the tank. All Bradford White hot water heaters are NAECA Compliant.
- 3 showers (10 x 3 = 30 gallons)
- 1 bath (15 x 1 = 15 gallons)
- 1 shave (2 x 1 = 2 gallons)
- 1 meal prep (4 x 1 = 4 gallons)
- 1 hand dishwashing (4 x 1 = 4 gallons)
- 1 dishwasher run (6 x 1 = 6 gallons)
- 2 loads of laundry (7 x 2 = 14 gallons)
The Bradford White Defender Safety System is designed to be the safest, most reliable flammable vapor ignition resistant system in the industry meeting all the requirements set forth by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). The Defender Safety System features ScreenLok Technology flame arrestor. The louvered flame arrestor design increases the speed of incoming combustion air and creates a vector effect inside the combustion chamber when flammable vapors are ignited, preventing flames from traveling back through the flame arrestor and outside the water heater. Other features include Resettable thermal switch, virtually maintenance free and the Liquid Propane hot water heaters also included a Titanium Stainless Steel burner.
- Advanced Temperature Control System - A microprocessor constantly monitors and controls burner operation to maintain consistent and accurate water temperature levels
- Exclusive Performance Software
- Intelligent Diagnostics for installers with status indicator
- Millivolt Powered - No external electricity required
- Separate Immersed Thermowell - No need to drain the tank when removing or replacing the gas valve
- Integrated Piezo Igniter
Vitraglas® The World's Best Enamel Tank Lining: Bradford White water heater tanks are protected from the corrosive effects of hot water by an exclusive enamel lining. The exclusive Vitraglas enamel lining is uniquely formulated and applied to the interior of the water heater tank.
Our test results prove that Vitraglas provides unsurpassed protection against failure when compared to other water heater linings.
- Standard Features:
- Advanced ScreenLok® Technology Flame Arrestor design
- Resettable thermal switch
- Maintenance free
- Pedestal base
- Sight window
- Factory installed Hydrojet® Total Performance System - Cold water inlet sediment reducing device helps prevent sediment build up in tank. Increases first hour delivery of hot water while minimizing temperature build up in tank.
- 3" x 4" Snap-Lock draft diverter
- T&P relief valve
- Brass drain valve
- 2" non-CFC foam insulation
- ICON Features:
- Enhanced Performance
- Advanced Temperature Control System
- Intelligent Diagnostics
- Pilot On Indication
- Green LED
- Separate Immersed Thermowell
- Atmospheric Venting- venting is through the roof
- 3 showers (10 x 3 = 30 gallons)
- Capacity (Gallons)
- Fuel Type
- Liquid Propane (LP)
- BTU Input
- First Hour Delivery Rating (Gal.)
- Energy Factor (EF)
- Includes Heat Pump
- Energy Star
- Overall Depth (in.)
- 22 "
- Overall Height (in.)
- 51.5 "
- Overall Width (in.)
- 22 "
- Net Weight (lbs.)
- Water Connection Size
- 3/4" NPT
- Warranty Detail
- 6 Year Limited Warranty on Tank and Component Parts
Manuals and Guides
- A - Floor to Flue Connection: 51 1/2"
- B - Jacket Dimensions: 22"
- C - Vent Size: 3" x 4"
- D - Floor to T&P Connection: 49 7/8" / 57"
- E - Floor to Gas Connection: 13"
- F - Floor to Water Connection: 49 3/16"
- G - Top T&P Connection: 49 3/16"